Looking for a way to get your mover and shaker to take an interest in books? Check out some of these favorite sing along books that will keep even the wiggliest of them all engaged and entertained.
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr. – This lively and colorful book teaches kids the alphabet in a fun way. They sing along as each letter tries to climb up in a palm tree. Will all the letters make it? Probably not!
- The 12 Days of Christmas – Around the holidays, this classic song makes for a great way to get kids interested in reading. As they count down the twelve days, practicing repetition and memory along the way, kids pick up larger and larger vocabularies. Find a copy with great illustrations and you have a fun book for even older kids to sing along.
- Little Bunny Foo Foo: Told And Sung By The Good Fairy by Paul Brett Johnson – A humorous look at a mischievous rabbit, this classic song and book combo even comes with suggested dance moves. As Little Bunny Foo Foo bops the mice and gets in trouble with the fairy, your children will laugh and learn.
- On Top of Spaghetti by Paul Brett Johnson – Another book by the same author; this funny tale follows the trail of a runaway meatball. It seems like the chef sneezed and sent the meatball flying, leading him on a merry chase. A great sing along book with fun story elements that children will love.
- Down By the Bay by Raffi – This book and song combination is full of great images that kids will love. Apparently there are all kinds of things down by the bay where the watermelon grows. As the child’s mother inquires if he’s seen all sorts of creatures, like a whale with a polka dotted tale, the child discovers even more to see and do. Filled with fun rhyme and repetition, kids will love the pictures and the tune.
- Shake My Sillies Out by Raffi – Another sing along book by the same author; this is a great book to help kids get some energy out in preparation for bedtime or calm activities. As the campers prepare for bed the animals do too, but they can’t seem to settle down. They need to shake their sillies out! With fun moves and great pictures kids can be as silly as they like and slowly calm back down as the book winds to a close.
- There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly by Simms Taback – The classic rhyming song gets a new look with this fun sing along book. As the old lady swallows a fly, then a spider to kill the fly, then larger and larger animals, kids will laugh and sing along. The ending is just as funny as the story and the commentary along the way is worth reading as well when the kids get a little older.
- Ten Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed by Tina Freeman – This count down song book is fun for even small children. As the monkeys fall off the bed one by one the mother money keeps telling them to stop, but do they listen? Of course not! Kids love the repetition and rhyme of the book and will keep asking to read it over and over again.
- The Ants Go Marching by Dan Crisp – Another great counting sing along book, this one had illustrations that really show how fast the ants add up. The children love the fun illustrations and the BOOM of the rain as the ants try to march home. Fast and fun to read, even older kids still love to sing along to the tune.
- The House That Jack Built by Diana Mayo – The classic rhyme takes on new life with fun illustrations in the book. Kids love to read and sing along as Jack builds his house and disaster after disaster happens. Although some of the language is dated, kids can still get the gist of the book and will enjoy seeing how the story turns out.
With over 20 years of experience in the nanny world as an award-winning nanny, agency director, and parenting author, Michelle LaRowe is considered a leading industry expert. A mom herself, she loves to educate parents and nannies on the importance of quality in-home childcare. Find out more by visiting @eNannySource on Twitter.