A Little Bit of Cheek Read more [...]
ARTEXPRESS is a joint venture of the NSW Department of Education and the Board of Studies, Teaching and Educational Standards NSW. It is a series of exhibitions of exemplary bodies of work created by students for the 2015 New South Wales Higher School Certificate. The bodies of work represent a broad range of subject matter, approaches, styles and media that reflect the high quality of Visual Arts education in New South Wales.
This year’s ARTEXPRESS at the Armory exhibition is titled Within Reach. It demonstrates the imagination and creativity reflected in the bodies of work created by students for the 2015 HSC. The thread of reflecting on world history, popular culture and personal experiences ties many of these works together to present a vision for possibility and potential these young artists have expressed visually and that are just within reach, even if in our imaginations. The creative process of questioning and challenging to reach a resolved artwork is evident in the broad range of expressive forms including painting, photomedia, drawing, printmaking, sculpture, graphic design, documented forms, textiles and fibre, ceramics, time-based forms and collections of works. This contemplative exhibition is within reach for audiences of all ages to enjoy and form their own responses to the concepts and concerns explored.
With works by more than 40 students, this year’s Armory Gallery presentation is again the largest of all the metropolitan exhibitions.
ARTEXPRESS at the Armory is curated by Danielle Gullotta and is coordinated by Sydney Olympic Park in association with the Arts Unit.
A FREE Education Resource is available for you to print prior to your school’s visit.
ARTEXPRESS at the Armory 2016 – public program:
- Friday 4 March, all day Teachers Day (book now)
- Sunday 6 March, 12pm – Curator Floor Talk (FREE – no booking required)
- Wednesday 9 March, all day – Student (Practical Art Making Workshop (book now)
- Sunday 17 April, 12pm – Curator Floor Talk (FREE – no booking required)
- Monday 11 April, 10am-11.30am (5-8 year olds); 12.30pm-2pm (9-13 year olds) – Kids in the Park school holiday workshops (FREE but bookings essential call 9714 7870)
- Monday 18 April, 10am-11.30am (5-8 year olds); 12.20pm-2pm (9-13 year olds) – Kids in the Park school holiday workshops (FREE but bookings essential call 9714 7870)
“The Armory at Sydney Olympic Park is the perfect venue to showcase this year’s ARTEXPRESS. The breadth and depth of art on display by our Higher School Certificate students, with a focus on those from Western Sydney, suggests the next generation of artists will certainly be ones to watch,” said Stuart Ayres, NSW Minister for Tourism and Major Events.